Friday, December 21, 2007

Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH (book review)

I read this book for both the Newbery and Four-legged Friends challenges.


Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH
, by Roberta C. O'Brien, is the story of Mrs. Frisby, a widowed mouse, and her four young children. Mrs. Frisby is faced with a terrible dilemma. If she does not move from her winter home to her summer home, the farmer's plow will destroy both the house and her family. However, her young son Timothy is ill with pneumonia and if they move, he will surely die on the journey. One day, after saving a crow from the jaws of a hungry cat named Dragon, Mrs. Frisby learns about an intelligent breed of rats who call themselves the "Rats of NIMH". The rats may be the only ones who can help her... but will they?

This was a great story about a mouse who risked her own life to save her child. I liked the way the author compared Mrs. Frisby to a human mother in some ways. There was a lot of adventure in this story, and it was hard to put down at times!

I give this book 8 out of 10 stars.

3 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I LOVED this one when I was a kid, Annie! Have you ever seen the animated movie? It's still one of my favorites! Great review!

Shelley said...

This is one of my favorites, and I love the movie, too!

Debi said...

Chris and Shelley--
What's the movie called? Is it called The Secret of NIMH?

Thanks!

--Annie