Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Children of the Lamp: The Akhenaten Adventure (book review)



The Akhenaten Adventure, by PB Kerr, is the story of twelve-year-old twins John and Phillipa Gaunt, who one day discover that they are djinn, and have the power to grant wishes, turn into animals, and other amazing things. Luckily for them, they are introduced to Nimrod, their strange djinn-uncle. He helps them harness their powers and is soon leading them on an adventure through Egypt to discover the tomb of the long lost pharoah Akhenaten. The twins will face cobras, scorpions, possessed humans, and also the most evil djinn in the universe, Iblis. Will they live to see another adventure?

This was a great story. It went along at a fast pace, and there were surprises everywhere! The characters weren't as well developed as they could have been though, but that was the only bad thing about this book!

I give this book 8 out of 10 stars.

The Once Upon a Time Challenge: 14 books down, 1 to go!

2 comments:

Kelly said...

Thanks for the review.

Jean said...

Of your three latest books, this one sounds like the one I'd most like to read. I was always fascinated by ancient Egypt when I was a kid; still am. (Let me know when you do the mummification project I sent your dad; I'll send you a photo of my mummified game hen, Never-Tidy, Queen of Denial.) And it would be interesting to see if I agreed with your assessment on the character development, because that's always important to me when I read a novel.