Friday, August 31, 2007

Wolf Country (book review)



In Wolf Country, John Theberge tells the story of he and his wife Mary's adventures tracking the Algonquin wolves. Through his writings one learns a lot about a few of the wolf packs, such as the Jocko Lake and the McDonald Creek packs. You also get to know some individual wolves. The book describes the wolf-killing ban and the "winter of hate" that followed. It also talks about predator and prey relationships between wolves and deer, and the problems of coyote-wolf hybridization.

I enjoyed this book, and I recommend it to anyone who is interested in wolves or in the wildlife of Algonquin park. I hope that sometime I can read his other books and that they are as well-written and interesting as this one!

I give this book 9 out of 10 stars.

1 comment:

Jean said...

Annie,

Did you read that Madeline L'Engle died? I'm trying to decide which of her books to read or re-read in her memory. She was probably my first favorite author, from when I read A Wrinkle in Time the year it came out (yes, I'm that old).

Jean