Tuesday, February 12, 2008

The Giver (book review)



The Giver, by Lois Lowry, is the story of Jonas. His world is perfect...or so he thinks. There is no pain or suffering. Then, on the day he turns twelve and gets his Assignment, Jonas is singled out to receive training from an old man he comes to call the Giver. Now Jonas has to learn the truth about pain, death, and war. He cannot turn back, even if he wants to. This is his destiny, and he has to accept it.

This story was simple, yet explored many topics, including genetic engineering, euthenasia, and the power of emotion. Overall, it was a very moving book. I can't wait to read the sequel, Gathering Blue!

4 comments:

Ana S. said...

I felt the same way about Number the Stars. It was a simple story, and yet it said so much. I'm really glad to have discovered Lois Lowry, and I can't wait to read more of her work.

Shelley said...

This is one of my favorites--it makes you think about a lot.

Stephanie said...

I really loved this book!! I haven't yet read anything else by Lowry. Looking forward to your reviews.

By the way, I just wanted to let you know I got my prize in the mail this week. MANY THANKS!! You really are the best!!

Debi said...

Nymeth--
I'm going to read Number the Stars soon, as well as another of her books, Gossamer.

Chain Reader--
That's how I felt about it, too.

Stephanie--
You're welcome! I'm so glad that you liked the prize!

--Annie