Friday, February 29, 2008

Pictures of Hollis Woods (book review)


Pictures of Hollis Woods, by Patricia Reilly Giff, is the story of twelve-year-old Hollis Woods. She's an orphan who lives with the elderly artist named Josie. She's doubtful at first, but they begin to form a bond. The only problem is, Josie is growing more forgetful every day, and if the people in charge of Hollis find out, they'll take the girl away. Hollis knows she and Josie have to run, but where will they go? And what if they find her? This is the extraordinary tale of a girl who risks it all to be with one of the few people she's ever loved.

Pictures of Hollis Woods is a story that's sad and happy at the same time. I loved the book, but I wasn't satisfied with the ending. It just didn't seem to go with the rest of the story, and to me, it seemed as if the author just wanted to finish up the book in a hurry. Still, I would definitely recommend this book.

2 comments:

Shelley said...

I read this one also and liked it. All I remember about the end was that I cried. I've heard there is a movie and I would like to see it.

Breanna Nicole said...

I thought this was a good book, too! But it almost seems toooooo easy to read, ya know?!?