Monday, July 14, 2008

Among the Hidden (book review)


Among the Hidden, by Margaret Peterson Haddix, is the first book in the Shadow Children sequence. The main character, Luke, is a forbidden third child. He spends his days hiding in the attic in case the authorities come to investigate his parents house. Then one day, Luke sees a girl's face in the window of a house where two boys already live. He has finally found a child like himself! But when he finally meets the girl, named Jen, Luke finds that she is willing to risk her life to make her presence known. Will Luke allow himself to get caught up in a scheme that could gain him everything he ever wanted...or ultimately destroy everything he loves?

This book was an extremely fast read, and I finished it in less than an hour. It really is hard to put down! The ending was shocking, but definitely was a cliffhanger. I liked Luke more than Jen, because Luke was quiet and observant, while Jen was rash and a bit rude. I can't wait to read the next book!

3 comments:

Becky said...

I'm glad you enjoyed this one! I remember reading it last year. I think I read four or five books in the series all over one snowy weekend. It was perfect :)

Jean said...

I, too, enjoyed this book, though I never did read the one(s) that came after it. Can you imagine growing up hidden? Introvert though I am, I can't imagine having to stay that under wraps.

Debi said...

Becky and Jean--
I bought the next one, but I haven't read it yet. I am planning to bring it on our vacation to Gettysburg.
--Annie