Saturday, July 12, 2008

Uglies (book review)


Uglies, by Scott Westerfeld, takes place after the human world as we know it has been destroyed. The main character, fifteen-year-old Tally, lives in a new and fresh high-tech world. Her sixteenth birthday is nearing, and Tally can't wait. It will bring her an operation which turns her from a repulsive ugly into a beautiful pretty. But Tally's close friend Shay has doubts about this operation. When Shay runs away, Tally is faced with a choice: she can turn her friend in or live the rest of her life an outcast without becoming pretty at all. In the end, what she chooses changes the fate of everyone in her world!

This book was amazing! Tally's world was new and unusual, and it made me think about what it would be like to live there. The book was a mix of science fiction and adventure, although it was different from most of the other books in those genres that I have read.

2 comments:

chrisa511 said...

I was wondering about this book. It sounds really good. I saw it in B&N the other day and it looked interesting. It's part of a series, isn't it? I'll have to check it out after your review!

Carl V. Anderson said...

I am so glad to hear that you liked this as I have looked at these books many a time at the store and wanted to take one home. I'll be more inclined to give into that urge now! Great review!