Friday, January 29, 2010

The Grapes of Wrath (book review)

The Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck, is the story of the Joad family, who have been forced off the farm they have lived on for generations, in the midst of the Great Depression. They head to California, dreaming of a lush green land of endless opportunity. The jouney is long and hard, and not everyone will survive. But when they get there, the Joads finds that California is not at all like they dreamed it would be. The camps they are forced to live in are crowded, dirty, and unsanitary. Work is scarce and jobs never last long. But the family still clings onto the hope that somehow, someday, they will find another home.

I'm happy to say that this was a very good book. Parts of it read slower than others, but I generally found it very interesting. It was very long, more than 600 pages, but a worthwile read. The ending seemed very abrupt, though, almost as if it was just the end of a chapter as opposed to the end of the book. Overall, however, I would definitely recommend this book. I've only read one other book, by this author, The Red Pony, which I didn't enjoy. This was much better.

2 comments:

Amanda said...

I get the impression that Steinbeck's larger works are better than his smaller ones, from what I've seen. I loved this one (and East of Eden) but didn't like The REd Pony at all.

Kailana said...

I really need to read this. I have owned it for years and still haven't cracked the spine.