I've decided to borrow my mom's idea and weed down my read-a-thon pile by playing a game. I'm going to post the first sentence from each book on my read-a-thon list, and then you're going to pick the ones that sound the most interesting to you. Even if you know what books they're from, judge from the sentences alone. Here they are:
1. The fire roared like thunder.
2. On Monday afternoon, Mrs. Philips was waiting for William at the kitchen door.
3. "Gramma, is that man following us?"
4. Ben Arnold was not a remarkable-looking boy.
5. Frank and Jess thought Own Back Ltd. was an excellent idea when they first invented it.
6. Pitch blackness had settled much earlier than usual over this, the last afternoon of the year.
7. If you are tired, keep going; if you are scared, keep going; if you are hungry, keep going; if you want to taste freedom, keep going.
8. The wolves of the Avalik River ran in and out among the musk oxen.
9. "Dad! Ma! McKinley! Guess what I saw!"
10. Sweeping, swooping, soaring, air-current thrill-rides--there's nothing better.
11. This notebook is the property of Hershey Hollenback.
12. It wasn't much, really, the whole Jessica Feeney thing.
13. The thing about birthdays is that everything should go just right, at least on that one day.
14. "If you could change one thing about your life, what would it be?"
15. Not long ago, in a large university town in California, on a street called Orchard Avenue, a strange old man ran a dusty, shabby store.
16. Thunder rumbled overhead.
17. Nancy sat in her father's law office, waiting for him to finish a long-distance call.
18. The whispers began the day she arrived on horseback at the gates of the Emperor's palace.
19. A flock of huge black birds soared, gathered, then landed one after another in the trees near Maggie.
20. I used to be someone.
21. When the Spook arrived, the light was already beginning to fail.
22. The ageless sky was waiting above, crisp, snow-dusted, landscape.
23. It was the stench, seeping in through the car windows, that bothered Tom the most.
24. Hador Goldenhead was a lord of the Edain and well-beloved by the Eldar.
25. Alex was in trouble.
26. For the first fifteen years of my life nothing remarkable happened to me, Lizzie Allbauer, a shy, plain girl growing up in the ordinary town of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania.
27. The day after my mother died, the priest and I wrapped her body in a gray shroud and carried her to the village church.
28. In North America there lives a wildcat that is barely seen.
29. When the explosion rocked the Griffin, young Samuel Higgins knew instantly that the boat was doomed.
30. Gripping handholds among the rocks, Erika scrambled to the crest of the ravine.
31. The gift arrived for Alfredo's seventh name-day.
32. The girl was late getting home for supper.
33. There was a hand in the darkness, and it held a knife.
So, which ones sound most interesting to you?