Monday, April 23, 2007

The Book without Words (book review)



The Book without Words is a fantasy by Avi. In this story, Master Thorston is a powerful alchemist who is about to make the stones of life, which will let him achieve immortality. But when he falls to his death and swallows a stone, the only heirs to Thorston's magic are his servant girl named Sybil and Odo, Thorston's talking raven. However, when they can't read his Book without Words, they are faced with a choice: get thrown into the street or find out how to read Thorston's book and make gold to save themselves.

I really enjoyed this story, though I have read books by Avi, such as The Good Dog and Poppy and Rye, that I liked even more. If you try this book, I hope you will enjoy it just as much as I did!

I give this book 9 out of 10 stars.

The Once Upon a Time Challenge: 3 down, 12 to go.

6 comments:

Robin said...

Nice review, Annie! I just finished listening to this book on CDs and I really liked it, too. It made me laugh outloud in some spots. I've read quite a few of Avi's books, and my all-time favorite is The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. Have you read that one?

Jean said...

I have not read this, but your review makes me want to. I will be at the library tomorrow and may very well see about getting it. Thanks!

Framed said...

I have this book but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Your review makes me look forward to it even more.

booklogged said...

I'm just into this book. So far I'm enjoying. I also liked Charlotte Doyle and Crispin: Lead of Cross.

chittavrtti said...

So many Avi's. Poppy was recommended to me a long time ago and the Cross of Lead intrigues me and now here's another. ***CV

LAN said...

puma mens shoes
puma shoes
puma speed
nike shoes
nike air
nike air shoes
nike air max 90
nike air max 95
nike air max tn
nike air rift
nike shox r4
nike air max 360
nike shox nz
puma cat
air max trainers
mens nike air max
sports shoes
nike air rifts
nike air rift trainer
nike air
nike shoes air max
nike shoes shox
air shoes
LAN
Lucyliu IS Lucyliu
nike shoe cart
puma future
cheap puma
nike rift
jeans shop
diesel jeans
levis jeans
nike rift shoes
cheap nike air rifts
bape shoes