Saturday, April 28, 2007

The Lord of the Rings Part Two: The Two Towers (book review)



The Two Towers is the second book in the Lord of the Rings trilogy, by JRR Tolkien. It took me almost a week to read, but it was very good and I had a hard time putting it down.

In this book, Frodo is a poor hobbit with the Ring of Power, an evil weapon which, as its name describes, holds great powers. He knows he must destroy this weapon by bringing it to Mordor, a dark land where the evil lord Sauron rules. But it is a hard journey, and along with his faithful companion Sam, Frodo must put his trust in the dark Gollum, a creature possessed by the Ring's power.

I give this book 10 out of 10 stars.

The Once Upon a Time Challenge: 5 books down, 10 to go.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Have you seen the movies, Annie? One of my bosses at one of my jobs, as well as my son Steve, still haven't forgiven Peter Jackson for leaving Tom Bombadill out of the movies. They both loved him in the books. Otherwise, though, they thought the movies were good adaptations of the books. I've got all three books, plus The Hobbit, on my summer reading list largely inspired by your reading them now.

Ana S. said...

Yes, the absence of Tom Bombadill was a great pity! Otherwise, though, the movies are nearly flawless.

This story is the greatest of adventures, isn't it Annie? The Hobbit is also wonderful, although very different in tone.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Great review of The Two Towers. It was a wonderful book that I just read for the first time last year. Looking forward to seeing what else you are reading for the challenge.

gail@more than a song said...

LOTR are BIG favorites of a few of my kids! And we love, love the movies. I should read these sometime as well!

Booklogged said...

I was impressed when my daughter read the LOTR trilogy at age 15. I still haven't read them. You're awesome!