Tuesday, January 29, 2008

A Wrinkle In Time (book review)



A Wrinkle In Time, by Madeleine L'Engle, is the story of Meg Murry, her little brother Charles Wallace, and her friend Calvin O'Keefe. Meg has never been happy with herself. She has braces, glasses, and does horribly at school. Meg doesn't realize how smart she actually is. But Meg's life is about to change. In the middle of the night, a mysterious stranger bursts into Meg's house. Later, the stranger and her friends (who are actually fallen stars) take Meg, Charles Wallace, and Calvin on the journey of a lifetime as they travel through space to save Meg's missing father.

I love this book! This is actually the second time I've read it, and I think I gained even more from it this time. It is a moving science fiction tale about accepting one's faults, the harm pride and arrogance can do, and the power of love.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Annie, Wrinkle is one of those books that you can go back to over and over again and get something different from it each time. I first read it when I was about 7, right after it came out. I read it again in high school, then in college, and have since read it several times as an adult. I think my favorite time through was reading it to my older son Don when he was four or five. When I got to the part in which Meg confronts It, Don yelled out, "Love, Mom! She's going to use her love to save him!" I was pretty impressed that he "got it" at such a young age.

Anonymous said...

I bought this book to read last year as everyone who read it loved it so much. It is still on my pile but getting nearer the top finally! Have you read the rest of the series?

Carl V. Anderson said...

I just read this for the first time last year and really enjoyed it. Charles Wallace was such and interesting character. I loved the way the author wrote him, the way he spoke.

Debi said...

Jean--
That's something I forgot to mention! I kept noticing new things about the book this time as I read it!

Rhinoa--
I've read the first two, but not the last two. That's one of the reasons I read this one over. I wanted to refresh my memory.

Carl V.--
I liked Charles Wallace, too. He is VERY different than my brothers!

--Annie

Carl V. Anderson said...

Ha! He is very different than everyone's brothers, Annie. He was certainly one of the most interesting characters I read last year. I really didn't like it when he turned bad for a time. I liked him so much that it really hurt to see him change...which was the point, obviously. I'll have to get to the other books in this series sometime.