Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Patriots, Pirates, Heroes, and Spies (book review)

Patriots, Pirates, Heroes, and Spies, edited by Sandra Mackenzie Lloyd, is a collection of true stories about the city of Philadelphia. This book is filled with stories of runaway slaves, war heroes, fancy parties...and even a cow! My favorite two stories were about Lydia Darrugh, a spy for the Patriots during the American Revolution, and about Oney Judge, an escaped slave. There was also a story about how Girl Scout Cookies got their start which I found interesting.

I enjoyed this book fairly well, although it was a little bit below my level. It was interesting, and I learned quite a bit from it. I think younger kids interested in history would get a lot out of it.

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments: