Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Spooky New York (book review)


Spooky New York, retold by S.E. Schlosser, is a book of supernatural folktales and legends from New York. Part of the book is filled with ghost stories, and part of it is filled with stories about various other spooky beings, including, among others, giants, werewolves, and gnomes. The settings are extremely varied, from Niagara Falls to Ellis Island. One even took place somewhere I've been before, Durand-Eastman Park, which is supposedly haunted by the ghost of the White Lady.

I would recommend this book to fans of ghost stories and folktales. There was a wide variety of stories in this book; some were scary and some were funny, a nice balance between the two. I've heard that the author has written books on other states as well. I will have to check them out sometime!

This book was for the Random Reading Challenge.

4 comments:

Debi said...

Hmmm. I didn't think this was a book that would interest me. Until I read your review, that is. Sheesh, Annie, don't you think my TBR pile is big enough?!! Just stop making all these books sound so good, would ya? ;)

Love you! Mom

Ana S. said...

Yeah Annie, would you quit already? ;) This sounds seriously awesome, and plus I love the cover.

Carl V. Anderson said...

Sounds like a fantastic one for the R.I.P. list!

Debi said...

Mom--

Are you saying I should start writing bad reviews??? LOL.

Nymeth--

I loved the cover, too...it was part of what made me put this book in my pile...

Carl--

It would be perfect for the R.I.P... maybe I'll read one of the other ones for it.

--Annie