Wednesday, September 12, 2007

The Beasties (book review)


The Beasties, by William Sleator, is the story of fifteen-year-old Doug and his sister Collette, who discover an underground city of strange creatures who call themselves The Family. Collette and "The Family", known by most humans as the Beasties, take an instant liking to each other, but Doug isn't so sure about them. The Beasties have never killed anyone before, but they've left a trail of mutilated victims through the wilderness. But as time passes and strange things start happening, Doug has to make a choice: side with the Beasties, or face the fact that he'll never be safe again...

This was a great book! Full of unexpected twists and turns, the book never bores you. Each suspenseful page is better than the last! And I loved the rich, believable characters!

I give this book 10 out of 10 stars.

4 comments:

Jean said...

Ooh, now you've got me wondering, but it's about the brother-sister angle. Collette clearly bonds with The Beasties while Doug doesn't. If Doug doesn't side with the Beasties, must he leave his sister behind? Interesting to think about.

Nikki in Niagara said...

Oh, I remember this one. Great book! I've enjoyed everything I've read by Sleater.

Court said...

Ooohhh... I haven't read this one, but I think I'll have to a some point! It sounds so good!

Debi said...

Nicola--

I didn't know he's written more! I'll have to look for his books.

--Annie