Friday, June 06, 2008

Beauty (book review)


Beauty, by Robin McKinley, is a retelling of the fairy tale "Beauty and the Beast". In this book, Beauty isn't pretty at all, which is why her nickname is so unfortunate. Although she isn't beautiful, Beauty is clever, hardworking, and brave. When her father heads into the woods and returns with a terrible curse laid upon him, Beauty knows what she must do. She has to journey deep into the woods and tame the Beast.

Beauty finds, to her surprise, that the Beast's company is in fact rather enjoyable. But there is something mysterious about he and the castle, something that she cannot quite place...

I read the original fairy tale right before reading this book, and I actually think I enjoyed Beauty more. The heroine was spunky, clever, and brave--things I like in a main character. Soon I will be reading another retelling of this fairy tale, The Princess and the Hound. I hope it's as good as this book!

2 comments:

Carl V. Anderson said...

Beauty is one of the books that I have heard many good things about and need to pick up at some point. Glad to hear you enjoyed it as well.

Debi said...

Carl--

You'll enjoy it!

--Annie