Thursday, June 05, 2008

Dogsbody (book review)


Dogsbody, by Diana Wynne Jones, is the tale of the Dog Star, Sirius. Sirius has been framed for a murder, and as punishment he is sent to Earth in the form of a lowly Earth-creature, a dog. His mission is to look for the mysterious Zoi, a weapon hidden on Earth. The Zoi is, for some reason Sirius can't remember, of utmost importance.
Sirius lives out the life of a dog, with his faithful friend Kathleen, who calls him by the name of Leo. They both live in a home where they are sorely mistreated, and they cling together. But Sirius knows that, eventually, he will have to leave his home to look for the Zoi. And someone...he doesn't know who...will stop at anything to keep Sirius away.

This book was my first Diana Wynne-Jones, and I wasn't disappointed! It was funny and adventurous. I was sad at the end, however, when Kathleen and Leo were parted forever. This is a book I will read again and again!

2 comments:

Ana S. said...

I'm glad you weren't disappointed, Annie :D

Jeane said...

This has always been my favorite of Diana Wynne Jones' work. For some reason none of the other books I picked up by her were quite as good.