Sunday, April 20, 2008

Un Lun Dun (book review)


Un Lun Dun, by China Mieville, is a story about a fantastical city lying parallel to London. Called Un Lun Dun, it is a city of carnivorous giraffes, ancient prophecies, and fighting dustbins. When Zanna and her best friend Deeba discover this wonderful city, it seems as if an old prophecy will become true and Zanna (known by the UnLondoners as the Shwazzy) will save them from an old evil. But when Zanna herself is defeated, who will save the day?
The answer? Deeba.

It doesn't matter if she isn't the Shwazzy. Deeba will do whatever it takes to save this strange city that she has come to love. She must face pain, homesickness, betrayal, and monsters of all sorts if she wants to triumph. But she will also make friends of all kinds and earn great respect in the process.

I thought that this book was great! It had enough adventure for a whole series, and sometimes I found myself thinking, "no, that happened in the last one". It was a slow read, but the plot was great, like a city's back alleys: full of twists and turns and occasionally even dead ends!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ana S. said...

I'm very much looking forward to reading this one, especially after your review!

wonderlandchick said...

I love this book and it makes me happy to see others enjoying it as well.

Debi said...

Nymeth--

Thanks! I'm sure you're going to enjoy this one!

Wonderlandchick--

I loved this book, too!

--Annie