Thursday, April 10, 2008

Starcross (book review)


Starcross, by Philip Reeve, is the exciting sequel to the novel Larklight. In this book, Art Mumby, his mother, and his annoying older sister Myrtle are invited to the asteroid hotel called Starcross.

Once they arrive, Art immediately notices strange things happening--like the sea disappearing and reappearing on a twenty-four hour schedule, and way the old hat sitting in his hotel room closet seems to be calling out to him...

When Art's old friends (see this review), controlled by evil hats called Moobs, and rather like the one in Art's hotel room closet, kidnap his mother (who isn't actually human but a Shaper, one of the most powerful creatures in the universe), it's up to Art and an unlikely band of followers to save them all. The fate of the universe lies in their hands!

I think I enjoyed this book even more than Larklight, and believe me, I loved Larklight! There was more action and sense of adventure. I also enjoyed the way this story was told from three points of view (Art's, Myrtle's, and a Moob's). I don't know if there's a sequel in the works, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Hey, Annie, shouldn't you update your "profile" now that you're, gasp, 11?

Debi said...

Jean--

You're right! Thanks for mentioning that!

--Annie