Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Blue Jasmine (book review)



Blue Jasmine is a captivating life story by Kashmira Sheth. It tells the tale of twelve-year-old Seema Trivedi, an Indian girl moving to a new home far away from her relatives. She is moving to America. Seema meets friends and enemies and discovers many surprises in this new country, but the biggest surprise of all will be at her old home in India, the very place she never imagined she would see again.

This was a really good story, the kind of book you don't find very often. It was very interesting and very sad, too. It makes you wonder how you would feel going to a new country far, far away with different customs and traditions.

This book was a 10 out of 10, definitely!

The Spring Reading Thing reading challenge: 8 books down, 22 to go.

2 comments:

Jean said...

Books that make you think are wonderful, aren't they? I lived in the Netherlands for a year; in fact, my younger son was born there. It's not as different from here as India would be and a lot of Dutch people do speak English, but it was still a challenge. Surprisingly, the thing I missed most of all was mountains; the Netherlands is a very, very flat country. I hope someday you get the chance to visit and experience a different culture. Even though it was a bit hard at the time, I'm glad I did it.

Debi said...

Jean--

I hope I can go to a different country, too! The Netherlands sounds interesting!

--Annie