Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Swordbird (book review)

Swordbird is a fantasy by twelve-year-old author Nancy Yi Fan. It is the story of a war between the cardinals and the bluejays of Stone-Run Forest. Legend has it that only Wind-Voice, a dove with great powers and a flashing sword, can restore the peace. But can Wind-Voice come in time to save the forest's birds?

I really liked this story! It was a fast read, but a really good one. The only problem that I had with the story was that it was woven together a little bit fast. Overall, I'd have to say that it was a really great story though.

I give this book a nine out of ten!

(This wasn't for one of the reading challenges.)

5 comments:

Jean said...

Written by a 12-year-old? Wow! Do you think an adult would have told the story differently? I just read The Little Prince (for the first time, I am sad to admit) and have been doing a lot of thinking about how kids and adults view the world differently.

Fuzface said...

I personaly, did not like this book. It was too simple. I like deep, complex, dark stories. Like Dracula. And stuff by Edgar Alan Poe. :-) It was a little too peaceful for my liking.

Unknown said...

I think the value of the book is its simplicity because it is written by a kid for kids and it will touch kids' hearts.

Debi said...

Jean--

An adult definitely would have told the story differently! They would have tried to make it more complex, but I liked it how it was.

--Annie

Darth Petra, Hegemon of Gondor said...

I HATE THIS BOOK. It was terribly cliched, and predictable. Miltin's death scence was laughable, and the charactes were two dimensional. Does anyone else hate it, or is it Just me? I will destroy the author with a sonic boom.