Tuesday, May 29, 2007

The Book of Three : Book One of the Chronicles of Prydain(book review)



The Book of Three is a fantasy story by Lloyd Alexander. In the village of Caer Dallben, Assistant Pig-Keeper Taran dreams of doing something heroic. Instead he looks after a pig, though his charge is Hen Wen, Prydain's one and only oracular pig. When Hen Wen runs away, Taran gets his chance to be a hero. But he finds himself lost in the dark woods. And with the dreaded Horned King on the loose and the lord of Annuvin, land of the dead, gathering evil forces, Taran finds that it isn't easy to be a hero.


I didn't really like this book. Although it contained interesting characters, the book overall lacked a lot of action and failed to pull me in. I don't think I'll read the next books in the series.

I give this book 5 out of 10 stars.


The Once Upon a Time Challenge: 10 books down, 5 to go.

3 comments:

Robin said...

That's exactly the way I felt about this book, too, Annie! It just didn't pull me in.

Ana S. said...

This is one of my all-time favourite fantasy series, so part of me wants to say, "give the next one a try". But if you did not like this one, it's not likely you'll like the others. Ah well, taste is taste :P

Framed said...

Thanks for the review. I have so many other fantasies I want to read that it's good not to feel compelled to add another.