Saturday, May 05, 2007

The Worst Hard Time (book review)




The Worst Hard Time is an amazing book by Timothy Egan that tells the story of the people who survived the Dust Bowl. This book even won the National Book Award! I can certainly understand why. (My grandpa lent this book to me, and I can see why he liked it so much!)

The Dust Bowl was a series of terrible dust storms that caused many people to suffocate or die from diseases like dust pneumonia and laryngitis. It swept through the mid-west during the Great Depression, which was already causing great suffering. The story is told in three parts: the first part tells how the mid-west flourished during the Roaring 20s, the next talks about the Depression and about when the dust storms began, and the final part tells the tale of the worst of the dust storms, as well as about the beginning of the end of this terrible time. This deeply moving story makes me thankful I didn't live through those frightening times!

This is definitely a 10 out of 10!

Non-Fiction Five Reading Challenge: 1 book down, 4 to go.

The Spring Reading Thing reading challenge: 7 books down, 23 to go.

7 comments:

Amy said...

I have this listed as a challenge book to read later this year. Glad to know you liked it.

I enjoyed your review, Annie!

Thanks!

Jean said...

Someday you might want to read some fiction about the same period, if you haven't already. I think I was in junior high when I read The Grapes of Wrath. One of James Michener's novels--Centennial, I think--also has a segment about the Dust Bowl. Maybe you could get your mom to count as a school assignment your interviewing your grandfather about growing up in the Dust Bowl and working it into a story or your own non-fiction piece.

Joy said...

Annie ~ Great review! I'm so glad you enjoyed your first read for the challenge. I'm going to look into this now. :)

Ana S. said...

Just the other day I was thinking I should read more non-fiction, and this sounds like a very interesting book. I'm going to add it to my list.

Debi said...

jean--

I've seen a few fiction books about the Dust Bowl. Maybe I'll see if they're at the library!

--Annie

Debi said...

Jean--

By the way, I already did interview my grandpa! It was even for a school assignment! Thanks for the idea, though!

--Annie

Literary Feline said...

Great review. I will have to add this one to my wishlist.