Tuesday, May 22, 2007

A Wind in the Door (book review)



A Wind in the Door, by Madeleine L'Engle, is the sequel to A Wrinkle in Time. In this story, Meg Murry is afraid for her brother Charles Wallace. He is being bullied by the other first-graders at his school, and he has also fallen prey to a strange disease called mitochondritis. To save him, Meg and her friend Calvin O'Keefe must go inside one of Charles Wallace's mitochondria to stop an evil entity called Echthroi from destroying Charles Wallace...as well as the world. But they are not alone on their quest- accompanying them are the cherubim Proginoskes, a tall, dark man named Blajeny, a mysterious snake named Louise the Larger, Meg and Calvin's former teacher Mr. Jenkins, and one of Charles Wallace's very own farandolae, Sporos. Can they all save Charles together?

I thoroughly enjoyed this story. It was definitely as wonderful as Wrinkle in Time, and I can't wait to read the next one, A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Thanks Jean!

I give this book 10 out of 10 stars.

The Once Upon a Time Challenge: 9 books down, 6 to go.

5 comments:

Jean said...

Isn't Madeleine L'Engle a wonderful writer? I loved her when I was a child, then, as an adult, discovered all the wonderful things she has written for grownups. Even her "children's books" are worthwhile reading or re-reading for adults. I think Wrinkle was my favorite of the set. When I was little, I wanted to be like Meg.

alisonwonderland said...

i also love Madeleine L'Engle! This series was a favorite when I was younger.

Katrina @ Callapidder Days said...

This is one of my all-time favorite books! I think I liked Wind in the Door better than Wrinkle in Time, but it was close. They're both terrific books.

Debi said...

Jean--


Madeleine L'Engle is one of my favorite authors, and I'm glad you liked her books too!

--Annie

Bellezza said...

I posted on this book, and just tonight left a post on the third in the quartet: A Swiftly Tilting Planet. My plan for the Once Upon A Time Challenge is to read all of the books in this particular series of Madeleine's, which actually includes An Acceptable Time as the last. Anyway, I enjoyed your review, and it is quite impressive that you are reading so many books for this Challenge!