Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Emily Windsnap & the Monster from the Deep (book review)



Emily Windsnap and the Monster from the Deep is a fantasy story by Liz Kessler. Emily Windsnap has always felt alone in the world; she is half mermaid and half human. When on land, she's human, in the water, she's a mermaid. During her old life on the pier, she felt lonely living with humans. Now, on the magical Allpoints Island, a safe haven for mermaids, she feels like an outcast. All she wants is to show her mermaid friends that she is just as good as they are. Instead, she wakes up the bloodthirsty kraken, an octopus-like monster who is only supposed to be woken every hundred years. Now, eight years before the next scheduled awakening, the kraken is angry for revenge. The only way the mermaids can bring peace is to give the kraken the person who woke it up. Can Emily find a way to fix this mess?

This was a super fast read...I read it in one sitting. The characters were interesting and very different from one another. I think it would be fun to meet most of them--if they were real, of course! It was a fun read, as was the first in the series, and I'm definitely going to get the rest!

I give this book 8 out of 10 stars.


The Once Upon a Time Challenge: 11 books down, 4 to go.

3 comments:

Jean said...

Ooh, giant squid time. I bet this was better than The Beast by Peter Benchley, which is his take on kraken. I'm curious here, though. Did the character have the same name as a human and as a mermaid? "Emily Windsnap" just doesn't sound mermaidish to me, though it does sound very human. I'm not sure what a mermaid name would sound like, but not that. :-)

Ana S. said...

I was going to add this to my list, but I realized it was already there. I think I read another review of it recently. Anyway, it sounds like a very fun read! I love sea tales involving the kraken. Even the word "kraken" is delightful, I think. Thank you for your review!

Debi said...

Jean--

Emily did have the same name as a mermaid and as a girl, but some of her friends had more mermaid sounding names, like Shona, Marina, and Althea.

--Annie