Tuesday, May 15, 2007

One For Sorrow, Two For Joy (book review)



One For Sorrow, Two For Joy is a fantasy story by Clive Woodall. In the story, a brave robin named Kirrick is standing up against the evil magpies. He is trying to find a way to destroy their rule in the bird kingdom. He is not without allies--his mate Portia, who is also a robin, Darreal the red kite, Tomar and Isidris the snowy owls, Kraken the gull, and Storne the golden eagle are all on his side. And little do the birds know it, but the creature they fear and hate most--Man, is going to pay a vital part in destroying the magpies' rule.

This book was very good, but GORY! Apparently the magpies like inflicting pain...seriously, you don't want hear more. The book would be perfect if not for the gore! Yuck!

I give this book 7 out of 10 stars.


The Spring Reading Thing reading challenge: 16 books down, 14 to go.

3 comments:

Jean said...

First Swordbird and now this one. You must really like birds. Do you think the plots would have worked if the author had used different animals? Would you like to have a pet bird someday? I had two parakeets when I was in college. Unfortunately, they opened the door to their cage one day while I was in class and made the acquaintance of one of my cats. While the cat found the meeting satisfactory, I'm afraid that the parakeets did not.

Fuzface said...

I didn't think it was gory! Look, there are alot more violent books. I've read worse. I thought this book was lame. I'm a critic though. I think everything is lame.

Debi said...

Jean--

I like birds a lot- especially hawks. The plot would have been very different if the characters weren't birds. I'd like to have a pet bird sometime.

--Annie